Saturday, January 29, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mom

(My mom wearing one of my daughter's fancy dress-up hats.)

It's my mom's birthday . . . she would have been 72 years old today. Although I can no longer celebrate this day with her, I did manage to find another way to honor her.

This past summer, Bead Trends magazine put a call out for submissions for their January 2011 issue looking for designs that incorporated January's garnet birthstone, and designs that were inspired by nature, family, memories, etc. (in addition to other submission categories and guidelines). I decided to combine two categories into one design -- something that incorporated my mom's birthstone and represented her creative spirit.

Here is a photo of my submission to Bead Trends:


This is what I wrote to accompany my submission:

My "Radmila" design was inspired by, and named after, my lovely and talented
mother. The garnets represent her January birthstone ~ a stone and color she was
actually quite fond of ~ and the crocheted wire "doilies" represent her amazing
(and State Fair ribbon-winning) skills with fine thread crochet. ( A glimpse of
her beautiful work can be seen in the submission photo.) Although my mom was
pretty particular about the jewelry she wore, I do believe she would have really
liked these earrings.

Here are the earrings as seen in Bead Trends magazine:






I am so grateful that these earrings were chosen for the January issue, and because my mom was a very generous person, I'd like to gift a pair of Radmila earrings to one of you. For a chance to receive these, please leave a comment below about your mom -- your favorite thing about her, her craftiest craft, her favorite song, how awesome her laugh is -- anything at all, and I will use the random number generator at random.org to choose someone. You have until Wednesday, February 2nd to leave your comment and I will post the name of the earring recipient here and on my Facebook page on Thursday, February 3rd.

Thank you for letting me share a little bit of my mom with you. I look forward to reading about your wonderful moms!

10 comments:

Kathi said...

My Mom was the pep in our duo,the trendy one, the fun one, the one who wanted to go to the cigar bar in NYC! If I could be half as fun as she was.....Love you and miss you Mom!!

Kathi

Kathy said...

Mumsie was my inspiration...she was the MOM for all of our friends. She was a jack-of-all-trades, stay-at-home mom. She lived and inspired many during her 6 year experience with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Her passing was the most peaceful "event" where I truly felt God's presence in the home I grew up in. When she died, I started finding pennies...yes, my pennies from heaven! I still am finding pennies from her. Our Mamas sure were wonderful, Lola. I know Tetka Radmila is so proud of YOU. I'm proud of you too!!!

Rose said...

Ok Lola, I think that dedication was probably one of the most beautiful ever. Your mom was a gem but look at the girls she brought up. It's so nice to see you honoring and remembering the gift that she was in your everyday work. A remarkable way to honor Mama. Oh, and I absolutely LOVE the picture (and the earings). Some of my most favorite pictures of my parents are the ones that they were silly in. It's priceless. Mama's smiling down on you. Vjecnaja pamjat +teta Rada.

~RaenWa~ said...

Your mom shared a birthday with my mom (she passed away 2 yrs ago)she would have been 58. My mom wasn't a crafter per say but one of the things she passed on to me was her love of reading & also her love of cooking everything Thanksgiving when I pull the turkey out of the oven I think back to the first year she let me make the turkey all on my own.

The earring you submitted to the magazine were gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I still have my mom..and that I so thankful for! She's a skydiving granny of 4 who has a huge heart that she wears on her sleeve. She's just incredible..that's why I love her and would give her these earrings if I win them.

Cassie
www.chicgiftsbysass.etsy.com

Patti Lekas said...

you do such beautiful work, I stll have my Moms here with me, but lost my Gram a few years back, She did lovely crochet work. Doilies were her finest. She woul have loved these

TS Beading said...

My mom was my inspiration as well. She passed on in 2007 at the age of 50. She was the most creative person I know. Thank you for sharing your story, I have a great appreciation for that.

Helen said...

My mom sewed a lot; all kinds of sewing, embroidery, knitting and crocheting. I think that my comfort with the fabric work that I do, and my hand-sewing skills, originated with watching my mother do her thing.

MelJoy Creations said...

I'm lucky enough to still have my mom here. Although her health has really caused her a lot of pain and depression, she's one tough cookie. I've been with her through tons of operations and doctors visits. But even when she was feeling bad, she would still manage to crack a joke and make me laugh! Quite a lady, she is.
My mom's birthstone is close to the January garnet, she's a July Ruby baby!
Wonderful blog post, the best I've read in quite some time. Thank you for sharing your mom's story!

tosagal said...

Oh, Lola -- how did I miss your original post? What a lovely tribute to your mom...I am sure she is so proud of you and thankful for keeping her memory alive. My mom is so creative, crafty and skilled; I have inherited none of that! But I admire that in her, and I admire that in you! Allison and I are in awe of your earrings; they are stunning... ly sistah