Saturday, February 25, 2012

Echo Creative Club -- Chocolate Turquoise Gin Blossom

I am so excited to be a part of the Echo Creative Club being hosted by Jeannie Dukic of Jewelry by Jeannie throughout 2012!  The minute my Chocolate Turquoise Gin Blossom arrived, I fell in love with it and knew exactly what I was going to make.



How I was going to make it was another story, but it all thankfully fell into place once I started playing.


Because this particular pendant was created with two drilled holes, I knew I was going to make a bracelet with it. I also knew I was going to use some brown and turquoise seed beads I had in my stash.


What I didn't know was that some lovely cylinder turquoise beads I purchased a while back would be such a perfect color match. Bonus!  I also didn't know I would end up using silver charlottes instead of my original idea to use brass.  The silver lightened up the design considerably.


Another aspect of this design that I was certain about was the use of strong elastic cord instead of beading wire. I love elastic cord for so many reasons, but in this instance it was for its malleability and the ease with which it eliminated the need for a clasp ... I really wanted this design to flow.


I also needed the elastic to go through the holes several times without kinking and while maintaining a uniform shape of the loops.  Elastic does this better than anything else I've tried.


Seriously ... look at that pendant!  Isn't she a beauty!  I really do love this Gin Blossom ... it's size, weight and colors are perfect.  I can't wait to do this again in April!  Thank you Jeannie for such a wonderfully fun opportunity!



Below are links to the blogs of the other designers participating in this month's Echo Creative Club. Please take a moment to hop on by to see what they've created with Jeannie's beautiful components.

Cindy Cima Edwards -- http://www.cindycima.com
Courtney Breul -- http://beadsbybreul.blogspot.com
Dagi -- http://kokopellidesign.blogspot.com
Jeannie K Dukic -- http://site.jkdjewelry.com/blog
Kristen Stevens -- http://kristen-beadjourney.blogspot.com
Lola Surwillo {YOU ARE HERE} -- http://www.beadlolabead.blogspot.com
Malin de Koning -- http://beadingbymalindekoning.blogspot.com
Michelle Buettner -- http://www.MiShelDesigns.blogspot.com
Molly Alexander -- http://www.beautifullybrokenme.blogspot.com
Shannon Chomanczuk -- http://www.formysweetdaughter.blogspot.com


Happy weekend all!

17 comments:

JeannieK said...

Oh My Lola this is dreamy. I love the chocolate and turquiose together, the colors are so comforting, like hot chocolate with mini marshmallows. The different shapes and size of beads add an interesting touch. Thank you for creating such beauty.

Malin de Koning said...

I love what you did Lola! It looks great. And I love the way you thought about using elastic cord and why. To get that flow feeling in the design. I am a bit afraid of elastic cord for some weird reason. Now I shall give it a try, all thanks to you. The two beaded strands, and the three laps around the holes adds the right feel, and makes everything look so perfectly in proportion. Everything is perfect about this piece. :-)
All my best,
Malin
(I will post about my own piece(/-s?) later on today.)

Therese's Treasures said...

Lola,
Mmmm I love chocolate and this bracelet reminds me of chocolate and blueberries yum! The bracelet is beautiful I like your use of materials great choice.
Therese

Courtney said...

I love the chocolate and turquoise combo! I love that you drilled a second hole and created a wonderful focal for your bracelet. It is wonderful.

TesoriTrovati said...

That is a great design! I love the colors on this pendant and your beads are the perfect match. Serendipity! Thank you for sharing your gifts. Enjoy the day!
Erin

Kristen said...

Yeah Baby! Such a glorious color combination and I think it is awesome that you were able to make the elastic work for you. I want it!!!!

Shel said...

Lola - I really LOVE the color combo and how you kept it uniform so that the pendant would really stand out - splendid!! It looks great on your wrist, too!! And I bet it feels great on as well.

Lori Anderson said...

I do like silver with this -- good choice! And I love turquoise and brown together -- LOVE!

Christine Altmiller said...

Great Gin Blossom, Lola! I always enjoy seeing your jewelry :-)

Molly Alexander said...

What a beautiful design, Lola! I love the colors and how you brought them together with the silver accents. Isn't it fun to find a way to use beads you've had for a while - I love it when that happens! And the tube beads couldn't be more perfect. Fantastic job!

:) Molly

Jean A. Wells said...

This is a beautiful bracelet. The color choices and the bead choices, everything is put together so well. I have never tried elastic cord - don't even have any. I worry it is not strong enough. Perhaps I should give it a try. Beautiful!

Cindy Cima said...

I think the cylinder turquoise beads look terrific with this bracelet! I think the idea of using elastic was a good idea because it will help the flower lay flat on the wrist.
Love the colors - great job!

Kokopelli said...

Perfect classy color combo! And wasn't even the packaging lovely? I love that you used silver with the turquoise and brown, reminds me of Southwestern jewelry. Using elastic was a great idea in this one. So it fits tightly around the wrist and the blossom stays on top.

Shannon Chomanczuk said...

very pretty, I thought of making an elastic bracelet last month but was worried about strength too. Great job!

Patti Van said...

That is a fantastic bracelet! I agree..your bead choices match PERFECTLY with the focal - the construction of the bracelet is genius!

Pine Ridge Treasures said...

This is such a dreamy bracelet! I love it. All the proportions are exquisitely balanced! I joined your blog, too.

~RaenWa~ said...

Oh wow that is beautiful. You have a wonderful eye for things Lola,