Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Art Jewelry Elements Nightmare Insomnia Blog Hop

I can't tell you how excited I was to find out I had won the opportunity to work with one of Jennifer Cameron's Nightmare Insomnia beads for today's blog hop!


I've had the pleasure of working with polymer clay and ceramic art beads, but never any art beads made of glass.  That all changed when I received this beautiful bead from Jennifer ...


Nothing nightmarish about this beauty!  I love the colors and the crackled, mosaic look of it as well as those incredible end-cappy swirls!  The bead is so beautiful on its own, that all I wanted to do was create a long necklace strand on which to showcase it. 


I tried several times to add some darker blue into the mix (I have lots of lovely turquoise!), but every time I did it somehow took away from the calm, zen-like feel that the softer hues were creating.  So, I stuck with the light and bright look and I am so very happy with how it turned out.





Thank you Jennifer for your generosity and for this wonderful opportunity.  Now I'm off to see what the rest of the AJE July Design team did with their Nightmare Insomnia beads.  Won't you please join me? =)

Beti Horvath: Stringing Fool
Gretchen Nation: Art Food Lodging
Karen Totten: Starry Road Studio
Kathleen Douglas: Washoe Kat's
Keirsten Giles: The Cerebral Dilettante
Kristen Stevens: My Bead Journey
Lori Anderson: Pretty Things
Rana Wilson: Rana Lea Designs
Shannon Chomanczuk: For My Sweet Daughter

16 comments:

gretchen said...

Hi, Lola! Wasn't this a crazy fun challenge? I'd never worked with a bead as large, let alone one that seem to glow. It's my new favorite necklace and I bet the one you made is yours, too. Great job!

Beti Horvath said...

Lovely setting for a lovely bead! It was so nice to see the different treatments of all the beads. Love your dangle, it ties everything together!

lunedreams said...

The bead you got is fabulous!! It almost glows! Good call about the lighter colors in your beaded strands, it looks fabulous! Really brings out the center portion of the focal bead. The little black seed beads interspersed is perfect.

Tammie said...

Fantastic! really love what you did with that, simple & elegant.

Tammie said...

Fantastic! really love what you did with that, simple & elegant.

Pretty Things said...

Beautiful work! I love this bead (the one I bought is very similar).

Kristen said...

Oh I love this! You are so right about the zen of the bead too!

Kristen said...

Oh I love this! You are so right about the zen of the bead too!

Rana Wilson said...

Gorgeous design! Sets off the bead perfectly!

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Lola,
You did a fantastic job of bring out the beautiful swirling blues and grays of the interior of the glass bead focal. I love your simple design it is very beautiful! I can not believe that this is the first time you have worked with a lamp worked bead.
Therese

Cassie Donlen said...

Wow, you totally captured the flow of the lampwork and did a great job creating. I just love them.

Jennifer Cameron said...

Lola, your design rocks! The lighter blue was a good call and I adore the Dark seed beads and the disc beads throughout the design. I hope you had lots of fun with this, thank you for playing along!

Shannon Chomanczuk said...

Very simple and pretty, I bet it took forever to string all those beads!

Patti Van said...

You did a great job selecting your beads-that is a strong, beautiful focal and you accented it perfectly!

Shirley said...

I do love the colors of your bead, and I think you matched it perfectly. Great job!

Tanya Ozanne said...

Great piece, lovely blog.Thank you Love and Hugs Tanya