Friday, August 31, 2012

Polymer Clay Collective Challenge

I love a good alliteration, and that title aims to please!  Welcome to the reveal of the first PCCC.  I am very glad that this is an informal challenge because I did not get a chance to finish my piece.  I did, however, put enough of it together to satisfy the criteria of the challenge.

Our mission ... which I willingly chose to accept .. was to create a design (not limited to jewelry) using polymer clay and incorporating at least two of the colors from the palette below:


 
I started by mixing several clays to get a copper red color and pressed it into a pendant bezel.  I then added some texture to it with a makeshift stamp.
 

As simple as the creation of this pendant was, I love the way it turned out.  It even somewhat looks and feels like leather (okay, okay ... simulated leather =). 

 
I attached some split rings to the pendant and wire wrapped some glass leaf beads that had the copper red and downing stone colors running through them. 
 
I'm quite new to making my own polymer clay pieces, but I like my simple pendant and I'm definitely going to follow through on this design. Until then, please visit our PCCC host Jeannie's blog, as well as the Polymer Clay Collective group on Facebook to see who else was up for this challenge!
 
Happy Friday!

7 comments:

Marian Hertzog said...

This was a fun challenge! I think your polymer pendant is awesome! I like the "leather" look.

Tammie said...

Nice job~ I DO think it looks like leather. Keep up the good work!

JeannieK said...

This is a great start. I love the leather look of the pendant and the color. Try a crumpled up piece of aluminum foil to get the look of leather. It works great. Thanks for join the challenge and posting what you had done.

A Polymer Penchant said...

I was totally thinking hmm looks like tooled leather before I read on :) very pretty! I could picture the rest with braided leather cord that seems to be having such a resurgence

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Lola,
I love the pendant and to me it looks like Ostrich leather. Wonderful job so far.
Therese

Kashmira Patel said...

I LOVE that texture. Very very cool!

Christine Altmiller said...

Lola~this is great! I love the texture and the color. It really does look like leather! and I love the star motif it subtly shows. I keep moving my polymer clay around...I should unwrap and play.