Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Time to Stitch 2

(If you're looking for the Echo Creative Club October Reveal, please click HERE)

Things have been crazy busy in my little corner of the world lately, and there just doesn't seem to be enough time to do all the things I want to do!  But I love the seed bead stitching challenges that Therese and Christine have been hosting lately, and I crave learning new techniques.  With time always being of the essence with me, I decided to start with the St. Petersburg stitch as it was one I had never tried before.  I purchased my beads, found a pattern, and proceeded to stitch this delightful bracelet.








Although I really love the way this bracelet turned out, I executed the pattern incorrectly.  It should have more of a zigzag look to it instead of an extended V look, but I do believe I still learned the stitch correctly.

As for my right angle weave piece ... I ran out of time.  I've worked with right angle weave in the past and used to create rings using that stitch.  I could neither find one of those rings, nor a picture of one of those rings, so I will have to fulfill that requirement during what I can only hope will be "A Time to Stitch 3." {hint, hint}

I'm looking forward to the next challenge Therese and Christine put forth, but until then, please check out their beautiful designs, as well as those of the other participants.  Thank you!

Therese Frank and Christine Altmiller
Nikki Byers
Kristen Stevens
Shirley Moore
Cynthia Machata
Lola Surwillo
Maryanne Gross
Alenka
Karin Slaton
Katherine Gale
Sally Russick
Amy Severino
Alicia Marinache
Sonya Stille
Tanya Goodwin
Lisa Stukel
Marla Gibson
Sarah Sequins
Mandy
Andra Weber
Kim Hora
Karen Williams

26 comments:

AntiquityTravelers said...

So pretty! I love the multiple rows of the St. Pete's! Do you have a tut for that version? it is so wonderful

Lola said...

@AntiquityTravelers

Thank you Cynthia! The pattern I (incorrectly) followed was the "chevron ribbon" by Coral Kelso in the September 2012 issue of Beadwork.

Amy said...

Lola - this is beautiful. I love the way the pattern turned out, even if it wasn't 'correct'!

Shirley Moore said...

That's so funny, I found that same pattern, but decided in the middle of it not to do all 4 rows,(because I didn't have enough beads.) I think yours turned out lovely! Great colors!

Marla said...

I love that bracelet just as is! Do not change a thing!

Sally Russick said...

Lola, I love to stop by to see what you have been creating, you never disappoint!! I think you had a "happy accident" with the execution of the stitch. I'm really liking this "V" pattern!

dreaminofbeads / SAS Jewelry Designs said...

Great version of St. Petersburg, I really like the extended v shape.
Sonya

Tanya said...

That is beautiful. I love the soft purple and those drops are perfect! I'm going to go check out that pattern. :)

Christine Altmiller said...

Even if it is wrong, it is right! I love this! Wide band, deep Vs, gorgeous colors...and drops! It is beautiful, Lola! Thank you for joining us in the hop. What should we do for the next one?

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Lola,
Thank you for joining in on mine and Christine's challenge. I love the bracelet all done up in your favorite color of purple (see I pay attention). I love how it turned out with the v shape in stead of the other way to me the v shape is signature St. Petersburg. There will be another ATTS challenge so be on the look out in the next couple of months.
Therese

BackstoryBeads said...

Matte purple and soft blue is one of my favorite colorways, and I love what you did with it here. A stop by your blog is always a treat, and I love your bracelet exactly as you stitched it!

Maryanne said...

I love your bracelet. The color is beautiful and I like the way the stitch turned out.

Katherine at Terra Beadworks said...

When I first saw this bracelet I thought it was an unusually nice pattern so if it is a mistake then it is a good one! I love the color too. So calming and soothing. Very nice!

Janet Bocciardi said...

Love those colors in your bracelet. Great photography, toO!

LisaS said...

Hey Lola, I love the way your bracelet turned out. Wonderful pattern and the colors, purple and blue, are one of my favorites ;)

kimmykats said...

Well this is an awfully beautiful mistake! How pretty it is and I do like the color. Love your pictures too.

Karen Williams said...

Beautiful! I like the extended V pattern - it has great texture.

Mandy said...

Wow! I LOOOOVVVEEE that bracelet, the colors are stunning! I love that it is so translucent looking, just lovely!

Halinka said...

Hi,Lola:
The St.Petersburg stitched bracelet is wonderful.Nice colors,textural and wearable.
Warm Greets-Halinka-

Saturday Sequins said...

Beautiful job, Lola! I like how you posed the piece for the photos, too. Especially that second photo -- it's awesome. :)

Alicia said...

LOL - Lola... that's not an incorrect pattern: it's your own twist on a pattern!
I love it - one thing I struggled with St. Pete was that it looked so small and I wanted it to have more width: which you beautifully achieved in your piece.

SoulsFireDesigns said...

Oh sweet Lola! I love it! It is beautiful!! Sometimes mistakes turn out even better... if this is a mistake it is the loveliest I have ever seen! <3

Kristen said...

I have done that so many times when working on a pattern. You get so excited working on it you skip a step that tells you something simple that changes the look of the design. I love your version!!!

Pepita said...

I love the way it turned out and I don't think there is "incorrect" in creating jewellery. It's the opposite than mine (I made zig-zag as it seemed the natural way of evolving the stitch to my hands ;-)), but yours is just as interesting as mine!

Andra said...

Love the bracelet. If you made a mistake on the pattern I can't see it. Where did you find the pattern?

CraftyHope said...

What a really lovely bracelet. I adore the colors you chose for it. They're just yummy and so calming too.