Saturday, January 05, 2013

Focusing on Life -- #1 Self Portrait

This is me 2013 ...
 
When I signed up for Sally Russick's "Focusing on Life ~ 52 Photos" challenge, I knew there would eventually be a self-portrait prompt somewhere in there. I had NO idea it would the very first one! My initial response was to shoot Sally a quick email that read: Dear Sally, I quit! But then I thought, yes, DO quit ... quit being such a big baby about it! So I spent days taking pictures of myself. Many, maaaaaany pictures.

Can I tell you a little secret? I actually like the above picture of myself. I took it right before I left the house to run some errands. Based on the millions of pictures I took before this one, I look my best when I'm busy and on the go. (I also look my best when my chin collection is being obscured by the camera. =)

What really surprises me about this photo is that it actually matches how I feel on the inside. You have no idea how huge that is for me. I have not been able to connect myself to the reflection I see in the mirror for a very long time and for a variety of reasons, but this picture?  It makes me happy ... and hopeful.

I have a feeling this year is going to be awesome! =)

 
If you'd like to see the self-portraits of those who are participating in Sally's challenge, or if you think you might like to join in on the fun, head on over to The Studio Sublime for links and details.

I'm going to be on the run this weekend, but I'll be sneaking in visits to the blogs of those participating every chance I get. I'm so looking forward to meeting new people and getting to know others better!

22 comments:

Patti Van said...

You go girl! You look so happy in that beautiful picture! Your post made me laugh - I could have written it myself!

Tanya said...

It's a beautiful picture. I love your smile.

Stacie said...

Hilarious and super thoughtful and raw at the same time..beautiful combination and wonderful self portrait!!

Alice said...

What a lovely woman I see here. I love that this photo makes you happy and filled with hope for this new year.

I had to laugh when you decided to resign from this challeng as I had much the same reaction. But I made it through and I'm still alive.

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos in the weeks ahead.

Beti Horvath said...

Why are we so obsessed with our chins? But I love your take on dealing with it.

Islandgirl said...

I'm not obsessed with my chins (originally typed shins there!) it's my wrinkles that I have a hard time with... and it occured to me that I could skip week one and go straight to week two, but then I would start with 1 strike....

kimmykats said...

Awesome!

Christine Altmiller said...

had i joined the party, i would have written a post exactly like this...hopefully with an equally beautiful photo attached! the disconnect with what we see and how we feel seems to be a universal problem. You look So Beautiful, Lola :-) 2013...ENJOY!

Courtney said...

You are beautiful!!! Love the post, it seems to be the way we are all feeling :)

Shel said...

Beautiful!! Great post and equally awesome pic - i love it!

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

Wonderful post! Love your smile. I can't wait to see your pics throughout the year!

nbeltane said...

a lovely portrait. being in front of the camera is so hard for so many of us, love that you embraced the challenge.

Nicole from http://instagrampad.wordpress.com

Therese's Treasures said...

There you are Lola beautiful as ever!
I am so glad that you are feeling the way your photo looks.
I can not wait to see what you have for us next Saturday.
Therese

Annette said...

I can relate on every point you made! It's going to be an interesting year!

Sally Russick said...

LOLA! It is so wonderful to see your beautiful, happy face!! I'm so glad that you connected what you are feeling on the inside with your lovely outside!
You captured it beautifully!!
This year is going to be AWESOME!!!

Sally

P.S. I burst out laughing when I read about you contacting me to quit..so glad you didn't!

AntiquityTravelers said...

what a beautiful photo! and I do hope you have a fantastic 2013!

Kashmira said...

You look like a very confident girl in this pic, and totally one who's on the go...whos saying, ok, come on now, take that pic and move on to the next thing on the list :) Not saying that in a bad way, saying that you look totally confident that you are going to nail it in one go!

Laura Twiford said...

Great picture and "chin collection" had me laughing, I too was surprised to see so many lines and creases in my neck with all the many shots I took first. Glad you didn't quit!

A Polymer Penchant said...

Way-ta-go beautiful! I think I ended up with the advantage finding this at the last minute since I would have been just like you drafting a graceful backing out. Can't wait to see more

CraftyHope said...

You are a hot mama!
I love how optimistic you are in general about this photo and the reflection looking back at you. I need to channel some of that sometimes.

Sandi Volpe said...

Lola what a perfect picture and I love that you are happy with the end result!!

Claire said...

how great that you captured your inner feeling as well as the outer beauty!