Friday, February 15, 2013

Focusing on Life -- #7 Beauty of Flowers


Every flower is a soul blossoming in nature.
 ~Gerard de Nerval

My mom loved daisies ... it was her trademark flower and she had all kinds of things around the house with daisies on them. From tea cups to trivets, pot holders to towels -- daisies, daisies, daisies!



Two years after my mom passed away, a bunch of daisies popped up in our neighbor's yard right along their fence.


Several of the blooms even came through the fence and onto our side to be sure to catch our attention.



In all of the 12 years we had lived here, not once had there been daisies. It was such a beautiful and comforting sight ... to have a small part of my mom so close and so beautiful. The following summer, the daisies came back and I was delighted!  The year after that, however, they were gone. I was sad to see them go until my sister called to tell me about the daisies now growing in a space alongside her house where flowers have never grown before. How lovely that my mom's daisies moved on to spend a little time at my sister's house!

Since then, the last place my sister and I have been encountering daisies is at my parents' home. They are usually growing out of the grass right at the place where we step out of our cars when visiting our dad.

(Okay, this one may very well be a weed, but it's a meaningful weed!)

 
Yes, flowers are beauty for the eye to behold -- but in my case, the beauty of a daisy also uplifts and heals a soul.
 
 
 
 
 

If you'd like to see the posts of all those who are participating in Sally's challenge, or if you think you might like to join in on the fun yourself, head on over to The Studio Sublime for links and details.

28 comments:

A Polymer Penchant said...

What a wonderful story! It has me smiling too. Daisies bring my sister in law to mind, she loves them and thinks of them as "such a happy flower"

maryharding said...

Lovely post. I love daisies too. I am so happy they came to visit you and your sister. I am sure they will be back again.

Claire said...

i carried big daisies on my wedding day and the cake was topped with them, so thank you for highlighting these beautiful flowers!!

Adrienne said...

Daisies are so simple and sweet!

thewovenspoke said...

so pure white daisies, I like the fleabane daisies that grow here in the southwest. I love your story so meaningful.

Beti Horvath said...

I have a soft spot for daisies - they were my wedding flowers, almost 33 years ago!

Cynthia@Ornamental Style said...

Oh, Lola! Your mother has been stopping by to say "hi." And what a perfect bloom you captured in that first photo. And love the shot with them peeking through the fence.

Courtney said...

What a wonderful, wonderful post! Daisy's are such a happy flower. Thanks for sharing.

Sandi Volpe said...

Beautiful post and pictures

Laura said...

such lovely detail in that first image, wow!

Alicia said...

Such a beautiful story, Lola - daisy are, indeed, such happy and cheerful flowers! So lovely the daisies take turns visiting you and your sister!

Meeling said...

What a lovely post!

(no. 45 this week)

Becky Pancake said...

What a wonderful way to pay tribute to your Mother. Thanx for sharing your story with us.

Shel said...

How beautiful Lola! I love that you shared your story of your mom and the daisies w/us too. It's lovely to find people we love still among us, watching over us and saying 'hello' every now and then.

SueBeads said...

Aw, thanks for sharing that story Lola! It's wonderful!

Annette said...

What a wonderful story! I adore daisies and had a beautiful bouquet on my wedding day. My daughter sends me daisies when she thinks I need cheering up.

Karen Williams said...

What a wonderful story! My mother loves daisies as well and I can never see one without thinking of her.

SummersStudio said...

Your story is making me tear up a bit. It's a lovely one and beautiful to think that you have this bit of your mom with you. Your 'weed' is indeed a daisy. Asters are sometimes called Michaelmas daisies. Daisies are one of my favorites too.

Patty Woodland said...

What a wonderful story. People tend to dismiss daisies but they are a gorgeous flower.

Laura Twiford said...

What a touching post! That is just so wonderful how the daisies have come to visit with you all, the spirit of your Mom, letting you know she is with you and all is OK!

Sally Russick said...

Beautiful post. Lola,, it sounds like your mom is still keeping an eye on everyone. The photo of the daisies are beautiful!

Janet Bocciardi said...

What a wonderful sweet story. Love that you have that memory of your Mom every year.

I love daisies too and named my Springer Spaniel Daisy. The sweetest dog I've ever had.

LoriF said...

What a great story! I'll never look at a daisy in the same way. :-)

Katherine at Terra Beadworks said...

Daisies are such a cheerful flower and your story proves that. They pop up where they can heal and inspire.

Marlene Cupo said...

What an awesome post. Thank you for sharing. Sure you will always have daisies in your life.

Lori @ Studio Waterstone said...

What a sweet story! I totally believe in those little gifts.

AntiquityTravelers said...

What a beautiful post Lola, and such happy flowers! May you always find daisy to remind you :)

CraftyHope said...

Such a touching post and what a beautiful reminder of your dear mom. Daisies are my favorite flower also and this post is just full of beauty for me!