Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Time to Stitch 3

If it weren't for the awesome "A Time To Stitch" series created by Therese Frank and Christine Altmiller, I never would have made the time to learn new beadweaving stitches.  There's something about the challenge/deadline/blog hop trifecta that is my perfect git-er-done storm!

 
For A Time to Stitch 3, we were asked to learn two new stitches, one flat and one spiral.  The spiral stitch I chose to try was the Russian Spiral and I fell in love with it immediately.  Once you set up the first few rows, it's a fun and easy pattern to follow.  It's also meditatively relaxing.  Oh how I need this stitch!
 
 
I have this awesome daisy/tulip lentil bead from Golem Design Studios, and I created the spiral using off-white size 8 seed beads and size 11 orange-lined green seed beads.

 
I really love the way this rope works up!  So pretty!

 
The flat stitch I chose to try was the brick stitch.  I originally chose a square shaped pattern to bead, but found it too difficult.  I then tried a pattern that worked with the natural decreasing element of the stitch and found that to be so much easier!


 
I really liked working the spiral stitch, but the jury's still out on the brick stitch ... I definitely need more practice with that one!
 
Thank you Christine and Therese for the challenge and for slowly, but surely, increasing my beadweaving repertoire!
 
 


14 comments:

Shirley Moore said...

Those seed beads were just waiting to be used with that focal Lola! Great choice.
Love your brick stitch component. I can see a few of these making a pretty bracelet or necklace.

Mandy Duffy said...

Perfect stitching!! You did an awesome job, wasn't this fun??? Looking forward to the next one already!

AntiquityTravelers said...

That bracelet is awesome! love it... but I have to ask ... is there a clasp? that is always what trips me up with ending a rope stitch like this.

kimmykats said...

Your bracelet is awesome! The beads and focal play off each other so well. You did a wonderful job!!

Katherine at Terra Beadworks said...

I love how the Russian spiral bracelet turned out. It was an easy one for me once you get the rhythm. Those diamonds are cool! Would make a lovely focal.

Christine Altmiller said...

Spring has Sprung with this bracelet, Lola! It is beautiful! Russian does work up fast, and does have a nice rhythm, once you fall into it. And I like how flexible it is. You did a wonderful job here. I really really like your brick sample. I know the verdict is still out for you but your execution is wonderful. A pair of earrings maybe? Thanks so much for being a part of this. I always want to yell "More!" when I see what you make...I love your style, Lola!

Bobbie said...

Lola, your spiral is fantastic! It's lovely on its own, and the Golem bead just elevates it to another level of "yummy"! I'm with you on brick stitch -- it's an interesting thing to have in your aresenal, but not one I turn to very often. But that's the fun of these challenges, isn't it?

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Lola,
Wow Girl you rocked the Russian spiral I love that bracelet and you picked the perfect seed beads to compliment the beautiful focal bead. I like the brick stitched component you did if you did another one they would make very pretty earrings maybe put a dangle bead on the end for some weight. Thank you so very much for joining in on round 3 I am always glad to know that I can give you the push that you need and I hope that you will join us in round 4.
Therese

Patti Van said...

That Golem bead with your glorious rope makes for one fantastic bracelet! Beautiful!,

BackstoryBeads said...

Golem beads are just the perfect focals, and I love how you set the citrus-y colors against a white background in your spiral for a beautiful, soft effect. Makes the focal even more vibrant. Beautifully done! I'm always so inspired by your designs.

Maryanne said...

I love your Russian spiral bracelet, Lola! I know what you mean about the other stitches. I have to really like what I'm doing to finish some thing in the flat stitches!

Sally Russick said...

Lola, I love the spiral bracelet!! The focal and the color combo is elegant yet playful! Beautifully done.
As for the brick stitch you are playing with, it looks like you are off to a good start!

Pepita said...

Oh, the Russian spiral is really meditative and relaxing, isn't it?! Your bracelet is very lovely, I like it very much. Well done!

Becky Pancake said...

Lola your Russian spiral and Golem bead seem made for each other. Good job. I think I would hang a drop on one end of your brick stitch and an earwire on the other.